Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> XBOX as an HTPC??, Interesting...
SsZERO
  Posted: Nov 12 2003, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

The XBOX seems to be a very "hackable" device. I know you can use it as an MP3 player, and I am pretty sure it can play back various video formats. So sas anyone considered slapping in a modchip and using the XBOX as an HTPC? When you consider that an entry-level mini-pc is like $400, the sub-$200 XBOX is a steal. They were able to boot Linux on it, now if only there was an HTPC Linux. ;)

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
EF
Posted: Nov 15 2003, 02:39 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Actually, I have a very hacked XBOX with a 120 gig HD etc. I use it with its hi-def pack in one of my rigs. It works adequately as a dvd player, a media player for other formats of audio and video, but the most interesting thing you can use it for is the front end of a home brew PVR. I have a mythtv (linux) pvr backend server that handles all my PVR duties, I am contemplating setting up my xbox as a front end to the PVR setup so I can get the larger computer rig out of sight and away from my rig.
Silpheed
Posted: Nov 26 2003, 04:56 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member Elite

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

How hard is it to hack an XBOX like that?

--------------------

SiL
=-=-=-=-=
REsSur3cToR of D3ad Thr3ads!
dR1nk3R 0f Ch3aP B33R!
AAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMEmail Poster
Trooth
Posted: Dec 14 2003, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member Elite

Member No.: 47

I am going to mod my XBox soon. I am waiting for the Xecutor 2.3 light plus chip (solderless). I am also going to drop a 120 gig HD on it as well. I got a bit peeved when my madden 2004 game that I had all of 2 weeks got a circular scratch on it (from the xbox apparently), and will no longer read. So from now on I am going to back my games up to the hard drive. Granted this can be used to copy games, I will not do that because I want the XBox to succeed, and that means buying and paying for the games.

With a modded Xbox you can play divx, mp3s, etc. You can also run linux on it as well.
PMEmail Poster
kryptkeeper
Posted: Feb 13 2004, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 178

WOW!...I was thinking of saving up and buying a deivce for my mom that would allow her to watch DVD'setc on thier TV witrout the need for a full fledged HTPC...all of them that can run Divx etc run over $250...there are some for around $150 that can play DVD and MP3 but no Divx,they rely on the DVD player in the main PC, and would route it via wireless lan. Since her boyfiriend has everything networked via wireless Lan this seemed to be the best option since she doesn't like wires running everywhere. She really wouldn't need the game playing ability though I guess it'san added bonus. How much would one cost + mods etc. and couldyou do it via wireless LAN? Heck I might even beinterested in one IF I can't get a case suitable to keep my HTPC in my entertainment rack and have to go with a tower solution....as long as I could do PVR, scaling etc. it would be ideal. I could even program my Marantz PC2000 remote to control it along with all the other componants. I'm not a big gamer BUT every once in a while I do get into one game or another and this would be cool...my only issue is being able to play HDTV dvd'slike the new Terminator3 that came with a second DVD in HD...this is why I'mbuilding my HTPC, I got a HDTV in OCT and so far it's been sitting in the back room unused.I just brought it to the front room yesterday after buying a new stand that would fit it!.
PMEmail Poster
Tomokun
Posted: Aug 31 2004, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 404

I'm currently using my Modded Xbox in conjunction w/ Xbox Media Center as a Frontend for my HTPC. I have the Video directory in my HTPC mapped as a Network drive and access the Video upstairs in the Bedroom w/ the xbox.

I can even watch shows AS they are recording.

As a whole it works quite well and is an inexpensive and convenient substitute for an extra client PC to watch recorded videos in another room.
PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
Posted: Sep 1 2004, 01:43 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Same here. I finally modded my XBOX and I've been using XBMC to watch downloaded videos and play music. I got an XCHIP. I should do a write-up on modding the XBOX. It's a rather involved process, and xbox-scene is a nice site but unfortunately, no one seems to have a single guide that covers everything from start to finish, in an easy to understand way. Plus finding the software is a PITA, as most sites don't allow stuff like EvoX and the requird bios files to be downloaded.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
Tomokun
Posted: Sep 1 2004, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 404

Yep, for most xbox software you've got to grab it from IRC Channels (Grumble...) #Xbins on EFNet is the Root distro for pretty much all Xbox S/W, but for anyone new to IRC, check xbox-emulation.co.uk. They have a quick IRC guide to get you the S/W you need. Thay are also very NOOB friendly. :thumb:
PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
  Posted: Sep 1 2004, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

I bet we could get this site here to start carrying torrents of Xbox software. I'll have to bring that up with the admins. I have no problem with IRC, but a lot of people don't even know what that is.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
gumby
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

YO dudes are u lookin for something for ur mom, i know this is a HTPC forum but the best DVD player that can play DIVx, MPEG4, etc i mean everything is the new
ZENSONIC dvd player made in australia for only $140 AUD im guessing its like $100 us ??? http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php check it out,

other wise u can order pre modded exbox off the www.modchipman.com with complete modded from xtra harddrives upto 250gig or new DVD burner not cheap mircosoft one, and all the types of MODCHIPS with different bios u can install LINUX and all types of software to play and watch every format.
MikeKanterakis
Posted: Nov 20 2005, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 784

check out www.xbox-scene.com
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll