Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> MacOS and HTPC, Anybody have a mac-based HTPC?
Berry
  Posted: Nov 26 2003, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

Hello! I use a Mac, I have the new Powerbook and, I love it. Was wondering if anyone can comment on whether MacOS would work for an HTPC. Is there any Mac HTPC software/hardware?
PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
Posted: Nov 28 2003, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

MacOS!? Aww...come on, who wants that slow and clunky POS running their HTPC. :) j/k

Honestly, I never even thought to look into HTPCs from a MAC perspective. Maybe you are onto something here...

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
ted
Posted: Nov 30 2003, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Should be no problems with panther.

DVD player software support both Dolby Digital and DTS (even EX etc),
m-audio has USB and PCI digital sound output and there are various
software to play with.

Thierry
med
Posted: Aug 25 2006, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (SsZERO @ Nov 28 2003, 04:57 PM)
MacOS!? Aww...come on, who wants that slow and clunky POS running their HTPC. :) j/k

Honestly, I never even thought to look into HTPCs from a MAC perspective. Maybe you are onto something here...

Actually, it's funny that you would call MacOS slow and clunky in comparison to XP (I am assuming...)

Quite the other way around, you will find that XP is a gigantic resource hog in comparison to OS X... and if you think XP is bad, just wait until Vista :) I'm not flaming here but I think you have been lead astray somewhere along the line!

There is a lot of great mac htpc stuff out there-- I am in the process of converting an old Mac SE case (circa 1990) to house a Mac G4 cube as my htpc system, and it is pretty sweet so far.

My concept for the Mac SE HTPC is that any DVD or CD you insert will get ripped and ejected and added to my media collection (400 gb storage)... it's all IR remote-controlled, and has reduced a lot of clutter by replacing my old nintendo systems with emulators. I even found a super nintendo USB controller on ebay :)

definitely worth checking out.
Eric Martello
Posted: Sep 21 2007, 03:28 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Awesome, thread that is nearly 3 years old! Let's reply!

If you want to be "different", go ahead and use a Mac. Most of what you can do on a linux HTPC you can do with a Mac. Personally, I'll stick to the OS that has the largest user base, and that would be Windows. I am currently running Vista Ultimate and it is a a great OS. You can safely ignore the bandwagon idiots who bash it simply because it is new and requires change. It is overpriced, and if you find that to be a problem...ye know what tah do...yarrrrr

--------------------
Eric Martello
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll