MSIINOZ
Posted: Jan 25 2012, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,664

Hi All
Thought I would post up my HTPC builds and the history behind it all

I was given an old (INTEL) PC many years ago and soon learnt that it was in very poor condition and soon became very frustrated with it, Due to a lack of money and knowledge I set about collecting parts and building my own PC, After researching forums & online shops etc and looking in my local PC shops I decided to go with AMD and for some reason chose to use MSI products (Hence the username)
I typically/strictly only use AMD & MSI (NVIDIA) Mobo's and MSI (NVIDIA) graphics cards now if I can for all my PC builds even for friends and familys PC builds, Dont ask me why..... The very first system I built way way back was an MSI K7N2 DELTA and it also still goes great although it lives stored away in my shed

This is some time ago so the AMD K8 CPU's were pretty much the latest thing out,
I chose an MSI K8N SLI PLATINUM motherboard and away I went collecting bits, Ofcourse I had to use an MSI graphics card so I got hold of an MSI NX6600GT, A 3000+ CPU and some Geil 2x512mb RAM & the basics to get this system running and put it into a gaming style windowed case
AT this stage HTPC would have sounded like a medical term to me but I soon learnt that a PC had awesome sound when connected to a surround sound receiver, Also found out that I could connect it to my old TV via the old S-VIDEO plug and got hold of a Logitech EX110 wireless keyboard & mouse for the coffee table, I was super happy with this setup as no-one (I knew) at this stage was doing this type of thing, The MSI K8N system has been upgraded a bit to an MSI 9600GT & 2gb Corsair RAM, Windows 7 64-bit and still runs sweet and now lives in my living room for my kids to play games & do the office type stuff, Paperwork & Printing etc or for visitors to use if need be (about 6 years after being built)

(IMG:http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/ozprostreet/23-06-06_0835.jpg)

I soon wanted to upgrade as the AMD K9N Mobo's were out and I had to have something better just for the sake of it?
It took me some time and by the time I upgraded to the K9N setup I was a bit late, I used the following>

MOBO MSI K9N DIAMOND SLI
CPU AMD 6000+
RAM 2x1gb OCZ SLI
GPU MSI N220GT 1GB HDMI
OCZ 600W STEALTHXSTREAM PSU
HARDRIVE 250GB MAXTOR
CASE NZXT DUET
Logitech MK550 wireless Keyboard & Mouse

After a few years this system is still being used in the lounge room literally right now as I type
After building I have since upgraded to>
8gb (4x2gb) Corsair gaming RAM
1.5TB Seagate SATAII Harddrive
MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC
Corsair HX650W PSU (This PSU has a 7 year warranty & is only a few months old now :bravo: ) The OCZ PSU died

This system is connected to a 42" LED TV via a HDMI cable (video only) and the Audio is controlled by a Pioneer 7.1 surround sound system (15" Subwoofer for REAL BASS) via an SPDIF cable
What a great setup it is, It has been super reliable and does everything I need, I dont have time to play games really but I did purchase Dirt 3 & a Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheel before Chrissy and it is a lot fun

(IMG:http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/ozprostreet/MSIK9NDIAMONDSLI.jpg)

As always it is near impossible to keep up with all the new stuff out there (Unless you have recently won the lottery?) & the AM3+ systems are becoming a little bit less expensive to acquire and it is time to upgrade again, This time I want to go all out as far as my budget will handle anyway, I have just recently purchased parts for my new build (they are currently being used in my K9N DIAMOND system above) but my my new system will look something like this>

Mobo MSI 990FXA-GD80 Yet to purchase
CPU FX6100 X6 3.3Ghz Bulldozer On way in the mail
RAM 2x4gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 sitting on my shelf waiting 4 new MOBO
GPU MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC Installed in previous system
PSU CORSAIR HX650W Also installed in previous system for now
HARDDRIVE SSD, Not sure what size etc yet? Yet to purchase

I have 1x120mm & 2x80mm GELID SOLUTIONS thermally controlled fans installed in the NZXT DUET case to keep things cool, Very reasonably priced and seem to work well

I am keen on upgrading to the FX8150 later on just to try out the new 8 core CPU's, And also get hold of another matching MSI 550GTX to go SLI with it

As you can see I only need to purchase the MOBO & Harddrive then I will transfer it all into my NZXT DUET case, I will finally have a system that is not too outdated and is probably way more powerful than I will really ever need but hey if your going to do something do it good or to the best of your ability atleast, Thats the way I see it
I hope I did not bore you all with my long rambling & hope that some may be inspired to build something similar knowing that these are proven reliable & great performing systems

--------------------
MSI 990FXA-GD80 BIOS V11.8 : MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC : AMD FX-6100 RUNNING @ 18x 3600MHz: CORSAIR H60 COOLER : CORSAIR GT 60GB SSD : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB :LOGITECH MK550 : LOGITECH C210 CAM : LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE GT STEERING WHEEL connected to a Pioneer VSX-521-K via SPDIF (Awesome Surround sound) and 42" LED TV

MSI K9N DIAMOND BIOS 1.9 : MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OC/V4: AMD X2 6000+ WINDSOR 89W :WINDOWS 7 64BIT : CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI EXTREME AUDIO PCI-E : 4X2GB DUAL CHANNEL CORSAIR GAMING RAM CGM2X2G800 (ALL PURCHASED SEPARATELY) : 1.5TB SEAGATE SATAII + 2TB EXTERNAL : CORSAIR TX750W PSU : ACHILLES DRAGON CASE

MSI K8N SLI PLATINUM : MSI NX8600GT 512MB : AMD 3000+ VENICE : WIN 7 64BIT : CREATIVE OB AUDIO : 2x1GB CORSAIR RAM : 250GB MAXTOR
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll