Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> HELP! Mac Mini or New Build, Help deciding on which way to go.
jcheers
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 02:12 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,015

Hi all!

I'm looking into setting up an HTPC. I am interested in my build being quiet and low power. I am interested in a fan less all in one motherboard is this smart?

Any recommendations are well appreciated.

New to the forum and excited about using the knowledge that I have gained from other posts.

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

I don't think there are any fanless options that can effectively handle HD video playback, though I could be wrong. Fanless + small enclosure typically means overheating issues. Most systems are quiet even with fans these days since motherboards have dynamic fan control based on load.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
MSIINOZ
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 9,664

Plenty of graphics cards that are fanless, The only way to go fanless on the CPU is water cooling

So you basically only want to play movies with your HTPC?

Start choosing some parts and you can get a bit more of an idea from opinions & recommendations based on your choices

SsZERO & I have a great thread going discussing the Pros & cons of the FM1/APU systems, This may be something that would suit you?

http://www.htpcforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4258

--------------------
MSI 990FXA-GD80 BIOS V11.8 : MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC : AMD FX-6100 RUNNING @ 18x 3600MHz: CORSAIR H60 COOLER : CORSAIR GT 60GB SSD : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB :LOGITECH MK550 : LOGITECH C210 CAM : LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE GT STEERING WHEEL connected to a Pioneer VSX-521-K via SPDIF (Awesome Surround sound) and 42" LED TV

MSI K9N DIAMOND BIOS 1.9 : MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OC/V4: AMD X2 6000+ WINDSOR 89W :WINDOWS 7 64BIT : CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI EXTREME AUDIO PCI-E : 4X2GB DUAL CHANNEL CORSAIR GAMING RAM CGM2X2G800 (ALL PURCHASED SEPARATELY) : 1.5TB SEAGATE SATAII + 2TB EXTERNAL : CORSAIR TX750W PSU : ACHILLES DRAGON CASE

MSI K8N SLI PLATINUM : MSI NX8600GT 512MB : AMD 3000+ VENICE : WIN 7 64BIT : CREATIVE OB AUDIO : 2x1GB CORSAIR RAM : 250GB MAXTOR
PM
jcheers
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Thanks for the response SsZERO.

My apologies to all because I am unsure what happened to the rest of my post.

The other part was regarding the mac mini (late 2009) that I have. I was thinking of using this being that it runs quiet and is practically setup. I will soon be putting in an 120GB SSD and 4 more gb of memory taking it to 8. The only thing that I hate is that I would have to go USB for the Ceton Infinitv4.

The Mac Mini is also the cheaper of the two being that I don't have to start from scratch. I just don't want any bottlenecks.

Thanks again!
PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

The only issues that you may run into with using a Mac is a general lack of support for HTPC software and peripherals. So unless it does everything you want out of the box...

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
jcheers
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Thanks for the info MSIINOZ. I will definitely take a look at the thread.

SsZERO Im not sure what you mean by HTPC software.
PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
Posted: Feb 4 2012, 03:23 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

For example, a media center type interface, PVR, codec support and support for accelerated video decoding using GPU. You can build an HTPC out of any OS but Windows is still the best way to go in my opinion.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll