Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Newbie! So be nice please! Cheap HTPC!!!, Inexpensive, not your torecommendations
Eastflorida
Posted: Feb 3 2012, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,126

Well, I stumbled across this site after hooking an old PC to my TV. Now I want more! But, not expensive more... He he..

Anyway, I want to be able to watch Internet stuff on my tv with a decent wireless keyboard and mouse. I want to watch you tube, ABC, NBC, etc without any headaches.

As an added bonus, I'd like this PC to be able to edit and compose videos I've made with my iPhone 4.

It doesn't have to be blazing fast, but not crazy slow.

I'll be using an Xbox360, PC, OTA antenna, iPad and cheap home theatre setup ( maybe cable too - bright house).

I'm looking at dropping cable and I'm wiling to invest more on faster Internet if it is neded.

I simply want to watch videos online, DVDs and basic editing of home videos. I tend to lean to newegg stocked items as they've been great to work with, so keep this in mind with any suggestions.

So, what do I need to invest in? Please, this is a very tight budget build that I hope can grow as funds will allow.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks,

Shaun
PMEmail Poster
MSIINOZ
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,664

Checkout some of the other builds on here

If you start with a modern motherboard with the latest features (SATA III & USB 3.0 is a good start) & just go with basic stuff for now budget wise & you can upgrade the RAM & CPU etc later

4GB of good quality RAM can be bought for about $30-$40, A reasonable CPU can be picked for around $60-$70

You dont really need faster internet unless you have dial up? Download torrents

Watching videos online is generally really crap quality compared to downloading a blu-ray movie

I can get the Logitech MK260 wireless keyboard & mouse for $30 including (2 day max) delivery from 500+ K's away
It has a 10m range & a spill resistant keyboard, Very durable too
I include an MK260 with most HTPC's that I build for other people

I started using a Logitech EX110 5-6 years ago and it still works great after all these years in the dining room PC for my kids

Im also typing right now on the coffee table (Lounge room HTPC) using a Logitech MK550 which has lots of good features for a HTPC

--------------------
MSI 990FXA-GD80 BIOS V11.8 : MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC : AMD FX-6100 RUNNING @ 18x 3600MHz: CORSAIR H60 COOLER : CORSAIR GT 60GB SSD : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB :LOGITECH MK550 : LOGITECH C210 CAM : LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE GT STEERING WHEEL connected to a Pioneer VSX-521-K via SPDIF (Awesome Surround sound) and 42" LED TV

MSI K9N DIAMOND BIOS 1.9 : MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OC/V4: AMD X2 6000+ WINDSOR 89W :WINDOWS 7 64BIT : CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI EXTREME AUDIO PCI-E : 4X2GB DUAL CHANNEL CORSAIR GAMING RAM CGM2X2G800 (ALL PURCHASED SEPARATELY) : 1.5TB SEAGATE SATAII + 2TB EXTERNAL : CORSAIR TX750W PSU : ACHILLES DRAGON CASE

MSI K8N SLI PLATINUM : MSI NX8600GT 512MB : AMD 3000+ VENICE : WIN 7 64BIT : CREATIVE OB AUDIO : 2x1GB CORSAIR RAM : 250GB MAXTOR
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll