Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Media Portal SUCKS!, ADWARE AND SPYWARE
SsZERO
  Posted: Aug 11 2006, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

We were trying hard to figure out why we were getting so much spam recently, and upon examination of some data packets being sent over the network, we were shocked (not really) to find that Media Portal is actually logging a crapload of data and sending it to servers located in Russia and China! THOSE FUCKERS! Using open source to propagate spyware? That's just LOW.

Remember a while ago they went on a massive, manual spamming fling and I booted their asses off this site because they REFUSED to link to us, yet they felt they were entitled to post hundreds of useless posts just to get a freebie links to their shitty site? Well that must have pissed them off because they've been using their spyware, media portal, to spam us bigtime, using their users' email addresses!

We've blocked a lot of IP ranges from the offending countries, but even so some spam slips thru...so it's time to get the word out. Help us out by posting links to this topic on HTPC Forums wherever u see someone talking about Media Portal!

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
Hahaha
Posted: Aug 12 2006, 02:54 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

If you don't like that MP is a success story it's tough, but accusing MP to have spyware??? You are just too funny. I bet you've seen the aliens in Area 51 too. I don't know why you try to spread this kind of shitty rumours but the only effect it has is that it shows the immaturity of yourself.

Grow up!
(I bet you will delete this message...)
high
Posted: Aug 12 2006, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (SsZERO @ Aug 11 2006, 02:44 PM)
We were trying hard to figure out why we were getting so much spam recently, and upon examination of some data packets being sent over the network, we were shocked (not really) to find that Media Portal is actually logging a crapload of data and sending it to servers located in Russia and China! THOSE FUCKERS! Using open source to propagate spyware? That's just LOW.

Remember a while ago they went on a massive, manual spamming fling and I booted their asses off this site because they REFUSED to link to us, yet they felt they were entitled to post hundreds of useless posts just to get a freebie links to their shitty site? Well that must have pissed them off because they've been using their spyware, media portal, to spam us bigtime, using their users' email addresses!

We've blocked a lot of IP ranges from the offending countries, but even so some spam slips thru...so it's time to get the word out. Help us out by posting links to this topic on HTPC Forums wherever u see someone talking about Media Portal!

According to your flaming bullshit, please provide us with evidences about the tons of spyware Mp is using and also were you found this version. Just in case you are right about it, I bet it wasnt downloaded from our page, which means Sourceforge, but Emule/Bittorent or any other untrustable location. Do you really think that Sourceforge.com/Download.com/freenet.de/Softpedia.com/computerbase.de/idg.pl/chip.de/heise.de any manymany others would offer this prog when its containing spyw.?

If theres really someone who flooded your forum with links to our page, than
1. Im really sorry to hear that
2. but it has absolutely nothing to do with the core-team and
3. theres obviously nothing we can do about it. If I flood any forum with links to your forum just for fun or to harm both...I bet you wouldnt be happy to be blamed for that too.

regards
high
player-x
  Posted: Aug 14 2006, 04:17 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,150

Hey SsZERO

Do you now what your talking about ?

Frodo the team leader of MP and the other dev's are spending lots of there free time to get MP better and better.
Frodo and his team are spending there free time on this stuff sins XBMC came out whit the first alpha's.

So please can you post some proof,

BECAUSE, WARE IS YOUR PROOF !!!

because last night a looked for 2 oure's what MP communicate to the net.
what i found was IMDB, shoutcast, Weather-Channel, ect. ect.
But found noting suspicious.

So give us some screen dumps ore so that proofs MP is doing this shit ore shut up and make a apology.

I think you dont no what you talking about
Because your shitting on some one how spend thousands of oure's on XBMC and MP
BTW how Manny oure's dit you spend on the HTPC community ?

Regards Michael (still A MP fan)
PMEmail Poster
burnout21
Posted: Aug 16 2006, 03:42 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 1,060

for a person with more than just a single post to my name, i believe i havn't just signed up too flame the members here! you lame arsed bastards! and for the person calling them self 'HaHaHa' just makes me think MP is full of spyware! there is freedom of speech on the internet but this is text and you are cunts! Some people should have never been born. and too be honest i think MP is shit! they all are every single piece of software, even MC05 is.
PMEmail Poster
player-x
Posted: Aug 16 2006, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

for a person with more than just a single post to my name, i believe i haven't just signed up too flame the members here!

Yes i signed on to react to a outrages accusement whit out proof, that MP got spy/ad ware in it.
That smears the name's of a lot of hard working developers of MP.
High Put up "some" proof of a download site that says MP has no ad/spy ware ore virus in it.
HTPCFORUMS have not shown anything else then wild accusations.
you lame arsed bastards! and for the person calling them self 'HaHaHa' just makes me think MP is full of spy ware!

The guy calling him self HaHaHa dint call you names just dumb for accusing MP for having that shit inside.
And is angry that SsZERO wroth this whit out real proof but is just babbling about some net work load coming from MP.
If he found out that it was coming from MP you can make a screen-dump from it to, so put up ore shut up is whats bin said here.
there is freedom of speech on the internet but this is text and you are cunts!

YES, there is freedom of speech, but accusing some one of doing something not ethical is by most people called slender!
And why all the name calling no Buddy else dose it.
Some people should have never been born.

Geee, you have some issues bro, I feel sorry for you.
and too be honest i think MP is shit! they all are every single piece of software, even MC05 is.

Hey that's your good right, you can even say it, but others think its great.
There are even people at M$ MCE Vista team how uses it .
PMEmail Poster
onkl
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (SsZERO @ Aug 11 2006, 02:44 PM)
Media Portal is actually logging a crapload of data and sending it to servers located in Russia and China

Language used in this topic aside, the most rational assumption would be that you downloaded a corrupted copy of Mediaportal. Would this be the case, the Mediaportal crew might want to analyse the setupfiles you used to confirm a unwanted *ahum* added feature by third parties. Would it be possible for you to make your setupfiles available for download somewhere? (with suitable warning please, to prevent further harm)
burnout21
Posted: Aug 19 2006, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

admin please close this thread.
PMEmail Poster
player-x
  Posted: Aug 20 2006, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

admin please close this thread.

Geee the proof SsZERO and all admins here from HTPC forums brings, that MP got loads of ad/spy-ware is overwhelming.
There is noting more to say, so yes we can lock this tread!

I deinstalled that MP shit strait from my computer,
HTPC forums opened my eyes for the evil dower MP is,
And all the crap it brings, its the axes of evil of HTPC scene!

And tnx for the clear languish. The people use here so everybody understands strait away what you all really mean.
And this quality post got HTPC forums at least 4 new members. :bravo:

Tnx guys your the best, and I will come by here a lot more.

Hail HTPC forums its the pearl of the scene, this is for sure the best HTPC forum around.

Greetings and C ya soon, Michael :haha:
PMEmail Poster
Eric Martello
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 01:56 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Member No.: 7

One thing HTPC Forums doesn't do is close hilarious threads...and this is certainly one of them. It shows who the people behind media portal REALLY are, a complete bunch of jackasses...and I do not doubt that media portal does have spyware or some sort of "phone home" nestled in its code. You are citing your listing of Softpedia as proof that it is "clean"? I think you'll need to do better than that.

I have seen the packet trace logs which SsZERO mentioned, and they clearly show Media Portal forwarding system info, web browsing history, and even some keylogs to various IPs in foreign countries.

Keep in mind that this is only what was found by scanning packets - there may be more deception hidden in the code of MP, but we're not in the security risk assessment business, so the logs and the culprit software will be submitted to Lavasoft, Norton, Kapersky Labs as well as other companies who deal with this sort of crap...the proof is in the coding. :)

Anyway, I highly do not recommend Media Portal, and people who know me know that I would not say anything bad about free software that is actually good. :P

--------------------
Eric Martello
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
burnout21
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 03:20 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

this guy player-x sounds like he is the code writers bum buddy. i here there is a deal going on ebay for ky-jelly!
PMEmail Poster
henryholz333
Posted: Aug 27 2006, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 762

Yeah, your absolutely right. I downloaded Media Portal and sure enough, it's spyware! It's been sending small packets of data. Now exactly sure what it was but I uninstalled it and reformatted my hard drive just to be safe.

Don't USE MEDIAL PORTAL!!
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll