Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How to watch and back up DVDs from HD
Bond
Posted: Dec 9 2003, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

This is not meant for people to use to copy rental DVD's or DVD's that they do not own, but I hate it when my DVD's get scratched and don't work anymore so here is my solution.

When I buy a DVD I use DVD decrypter, which is shareware to decrypt the dvd and put a useable VOB file on my hardrive that I can read using a program like Intervideo windvd etc.

I have found that Power DVD does not work for this. Windows media player will play the files, but in my experience is very limited on sound output options etc. specifically spdif output. Media Player hops a bit on many of the movies.

WinDVD so far has been the best to use. I am currently working on a database menu system for cataloging and calling up the titles.

The files are ranging form 3 - 7 gigs so you will need LARGE hardrive space.

I have not tried converting the files to AVI or DIVX because I understand that you loose picture and sound quality. I am striving for the absolute best picture and sound possible.
PMEmail Poster
eytan_vestin
Posted: Nov 18 2004, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 222

hi there.

I use DVDShrink to rip the dvd onto my hd, it is a freeware... and it is awesome.
I use WinMCE2K5 to read the ripped DVD's as well as PowerDVD.
it does a great job. I have a 100" screen and a projector and the result is phenomenal!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
recr94
Posted: Feb 24 2006, 11:32 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 897

DVDdecrypter and DVDShrink has been my favorite choice. It has served me pretty well all along. Sometimes I have used DVDremake also...

Undoubtedly, I recommend backing up your personal DVDs. In the good old days of VCDs - I have lost atleast a couple of dozen videos - just because I assumed that CDs were longer lasting. (what a misnomer!!)

anyways, now I use this HDD-based Media Center - and cant be happier... its just fun watching movies on a 56" widescreen... and it works almost like 300-DVD disk changer !!! :)
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll