> web browser on TV, best way to get a web browser on a TV
sludgepickle
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,096

I want two things:

1) a web browser on my 47" LG LCD TV. I want to be able to go to certain TV websites (channels I don't get) to watch shows/video clips, such as:

* Natgeotv
* HGTV
* BYUTV

2) a way to watch Amazon *PRIME* Instant Video on my TV

I have a TiVo HD already for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video (although I also want PRIME video access which TiVo doesn't yet support), Pandora, etc. So...the solutions I can think of are:

1) get an HTPC or Nettop like an Acer AspireRevo with HDMI video card and wifi card. (This is the simplest but not the cheapest solution.)
2) get a Roku (great to give me Amazon Prime video, but no web browser)
3) get a Google-TV or other web console (Sony or Logitech...great for web & widgets/apps, will it allow Amazon Prime video?)
4) Some weird combination of the above options.

Any advice is much appreciated!
PMEmail Poster
keith_h
Posted: Mar 24 2012, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 9,146

You need to connect a PC. Embedded browsers like those in WDTV etc are fairly useless. Do you need a HTPC? If not maybe a netbook with a wireless keyboard and mouse may do the trick if you can connect it to your TV. One with HDMI for example. Even a low end laptop might be worth considering.
PMEmail Poster
MSIINOZ
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 9,664

A budget HTPC (Home theater PC) sounds like the go, I own a 42" LED tv and dont even watch digital TV, I have about 5000GB/5TB of stuff to watch all for free, I dont even have a DVD/BLU-RAY player or even a disc drive in my HTPC, I am sitting on my lounge typing this reply and can watch just about anything I want & do all my basic PC tasks (Email / Ebay etc etc) sitting on the lounge

A PC connected to your TV should give you all the options you need, Keep it simple, You can build up a HTPC & collect parts over time (depending on your budget?) & as long as the motherboard is modern you can upgrade to better parts like RAM, graphics & even the CPU later on

If you dont have a big budget like me then maybe use my motto "TIME IS MONEY & I HAVE PLENTY OF TIME"
Waiting longer for good parts will give you a better system in the long run, It took me nearly 6 months to collect the bits for my last build, Checkout some of the HTPC builds in here

--------------------
MSI 990FXA-GD80 BIOS V11.8 : MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC : AMD FX-6100 RUNNING @ 18x 3600MHz: CORSAIR H60 COOLER : CORSAIR GT 60GB SSD : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB :LOGITECH MK550 : LOGITECH C210 CAM : LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE GT STEERING WHEEL connected to a Pioneer VSX-521-K via SPDIF (Awesome Surround sound) and 42" LED TV

MSI K9N DIAMOND BIOS 1.9 : MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OC/V4: AMD X2 6000+ WINDSOR 89W :WINDOWS 7 64BIT : CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI EXTREME AUDIO PCI-E : 4X2GB DUAL CHANNEL CORSAIR GAMING RAM CGM2X2G800 (ALL PURCHASED SEPARATELY) : 1.5TB SEAGATE SATAII + 2TB EXTERNAL : CORSAIR TX750W PSU : ACHILLES DRAGON CASE

MSI K8N SLI PLATINUM : MSI NX8600GT 512MB : AMD 3000+ VENICE : WIN 7 64BIT : CREATIVE OB AUDIO : 2x1GB CORSAIR RAM : 250GB MAXTOR
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll