Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, A rare SciFi GEM starring Debbie Gibson!
Eric Martello
  Posted: Oct 1 2009, 12:22 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

The station formally known as the SciFi Channel...now SyFy, like to play movies every Saturday at 9PM. These movies all follow a similar, predetermined pattern:

- Generic title which also describes the plot (in full)
- Show "realistic 3D-rendered monster" within the first 10 mins
- Introduce cardboard characters to drag the story (I use the word story generously here)
- Character fights monster, eventually wins.
- But no, the monster isn't 100% dead...at the end they hint at a possible sequel.
- The end.

With that in mind, I'd like to review "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus". With SyFy movies the title is also a spoiler...don't hate. Debbie...er...DeBORAH Gibson who is all grown up now decided she wants to be a marine biologist. She witnesses the release of a giant shark and mega octopus, which were frozen in ice for millions of years, only to be charged with killing them. But how? Oh wait, you probably already know where this is headed.

So I'm just going to skip over the drivel and point out some of the highly memorable scenes in this film:

- Lorenzo Lamas sobered up to play the role of some kind of military officer. In this movie, you are in the military if you wear a camo jacket. He was wearing a black sweat suit.

- There is stock footage of a battleship sailing through the ocean with its cannons pointed fowared in the "off" position. The captain of said ship says "fire on the octopus" which is approaching from the port (left) side of the ship. They superimposed the flame of a lighting match in front of the cannons of the ship to make it look like it was firing...foward. It missed. It was shooting at an underwater target with cannons designed to attack surface-based targets, and it wasn't even firing in the right direction.

- "The shark is closing in on our position" yells the navigator. "How fast is it moving?" asks lorenzo. "About 500 knots!" Oh yes, somehow this prehistoric shark developed the ability to create super-cavitation wormholes which allow it to swim at near supersonic speeds.

- Debbie Gibson and some random asian guy from Japan "fall in love" after meeting the day before. The get it on in the closet, but thankfully that part was edited out (must be saving it for the eventual bluray release special features). Was that part of the movie or a scene out of Debbie's life story? I'm still not sure.

That's all that comes to mind at this time...but I do recall having to watch this movie over 2 days because it was so...challenging. For some reason it drags on for over 2 hours.

Highly recommended for all you sci-fi buffs! :hehe:

--------------------
Eric Martello
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Posted: Oct 1 2009, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Group:
Member No.: 0

Warn: (0%) -----

Ouch...just reading about it makes me shiver....can't imagine actually watching it.

I don't know how you made it through the entire movie....kudos to you for toughing it out.

PMEmail Poster
SsZERO
Posted: Oct 2 2009, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

You know what, it's good that you take the time to review quality movies like this one and post it on HTPCF. We finally have an answer to the question: "If nobody watches a movie, does said movie even exist?" Apparently the answer is yes, because we can count on eric to watch the movies that slip through the cracks.

On a side note, syfy does throw in an occasional good movie among the mix of mediocre ones. It's rare, but it happens.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll