Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> DVI to Component?
asc11
Posted: Nov 12 2009, 11:57 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hi,

I recently put together my first HTPC. After doing so, I realized my TV only has RF coax, composit or component inputs. I don't have a DVI or HDMI input on my TV, but I want to use the DVI or HDMI output on my HTPC.

I've seen several adapters/cables out there that are supposed to do the trick. Unfortunately, most of the comments/reviews aboutt hese products say they don't work. Are there any products that will do a DVI/HDMI to Component conversion? Yes, I know DVI is digital and Component is analog, and yes, I know the difference between digital and analog signals. I also know conversion between digital and analog is possible. Just wondering if anyone know a product that will do it.

Thanks,

Aaron
achr
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I google it and came along a lot of searches

how about this one?

http://sewelldirect.com/dvivideoadapter.asp
asc11
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply.

That's one that I've looked at with reviews saying it doesn't work. From what I've read, you need to have a video card that supports component through DVI. I've read that most do, but it depends on the manufacturer. I have an MSI Radeon R4350 MD512H and can't find anything anywhere to indicate whether it does or not.

Also, I've read that you need to have a TV that will support it. They seem to be saying there's a difference between RGB Component (which is what this adapter outputs) and YPbPr Component. Is this true? Don't most TVs use YPbPr and not RGB?

Aaron
achr
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

there's a difference between RGB Component (which is what this adapter outputs) and YPbPr Component. Is this true?

I think there is no term such "RGB Component". Red, Yellow and Green is not component. RGB is a video signal which is then converted or divided someway to brightness and two color signals. The analog component YPbPr with the three RCA connectors. I am sorry but its not that clear to my head.

ok, tricky. maybe you just can't do that.
How about VGA to Component (YPbPr) Video Converter devices??
There are plenty of them.
asc11
Posted: Nov 13 2009, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I thought about trying VGA to component as well. Looks like the same story. Plenty of simple adapters or cables, but lots of people complaining they don't work, while others saying it desn't work because it won't do PC to TV.

I found a thread at another forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=840626) that seems to explain it pretty well. Botom line, you can't do VGA or DVI to YPbPr component unless (1) your video card is built that way (a retail box will usually include the adapter if it does) or (2) you shell out $100-$300 for a transcoder box. I've seen those and wondered why you can have a simple adapter for $2 and a converter box for $300.

Looks like it will be cheaper and easier to find a video card that is designed to connect to an HDTV.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll