Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ripping/Storing Blu-ray/DVD's to harddrive
Zero Cool
Posted: Nov 22 2009, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I am looking to rip my Blu-ray and DVD collection to the hard drive in my HTPC. these days with terrabyte hard drives being so reasonably priced, it just makes sense to rip and keep everything on a drive for playback at any given time.

**** and just to be clear. we are talking about movies I OWN. just so the copyright nazi's are clear on that!****

I am looking for a software program(s) that will help in the ripping, cataloging and playback of movies from the hard drive uncompressed. I do not want to convert to some other format. IE transcode. I wish to keep the raw data from the DVD/BR disc intact and be able to play it back from the hard drive just as if it were a DVD/BR disc. are there software programs that allow this??

I am currently using Cyberlink's PowerDVD program that came with my Pioneer BDR-205 12x Blu-Ray drive. this works fantastic for BD/DVD playback but i am not sure if i can use that to playback files that have been ripped to a HD or not???

Zc
achr
Posted: Nov 22 2009, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

how about iso / img files??
using softwares like Power iso you can mount image files (that are stored to your HDD) to "virtual" dvd drives and play them as if they were dvd disks.
Zero Cool
Posted: Nov 22 2009, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

A friend just told me about power iso! I need to look into that.

I found that with DVD rip and DVD Shrink, there is a "No Compression" Setting I can use. I also found out that Cyberlink's Power DVD will play the files right off the hard drive as if it were a DVD without having to do anything else. sweet! So i already have what i need. But I will check out the power iso program as well.

Now i need to figure out how to do my Blu-Ray movies (of which i have 2 at the moment LOL!)

Zc
SsZERO
Posted: Nov 23 2009, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

Use Imgburn. It's the best ripping software around.

http://imgburn.com/

You can then transcode them into h.264 media files with DTS audio to cut down the size without giving up much quality.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
Zero Cool
Posted: Nov 29 2009, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I have ripped a couple of movies with the DVD RIP/Shrink so far with the no compression setting and there is a lot of artifacts when i view the ripped movie on the big screen. so im not real happy with it but i am still playing with options. Next i will try the image burn.

I have plenty of storage space so I want bit for bit exact same quality as right off the dvd with zero compression.
rare
Posted: Jan 30 2010, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (SsZERO @ Nov 23 2009, 05:54 AM)

You can then transcode them into h.264 media files with DTS audio to cut down the size without giving up much quality.

I just downloaded that on my machine and went to make a copy of Alvin & The Chipmunks. It said it would do it but, due to being copywrighted it might not work.

Does it work and that is just a legal notice the programmer needed? My kids have scratched DVDs or they have them all over the house in different places. This is the main reason I have a HTPC, to backup my DVDs and watch them off of hard disks.
SsZERO
Posted: Jan 30 2010, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Expert

Group: HTPCF Global Moderator
Member No.: 9

QUOTE (rare @ Jan 30 2010, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (SsZERO @ Nov 23 2009, 05:54 AM)

I just downloaded that on my machine and went to make a copy of Alvin & The Chipmunks. It said it would do it but, due to being copywrighted it might not work.

Does it work and that is just a legal notice the programmer needed? My kids have scratched DVDs or they have them all over the house in different places. This is the main reason I have a HTPC, to backup my DVDs and watch them off of hard disks.

If you rip the video to your hard drive and transcode it you shouldn't have any issues with copy protection. The only time it may be an issue is if you are trying to copy it to burn a new disc. Just try it out and see what happens.

--------------------
-= SsZERO =-
PMEmail PosterAOL
evan42781
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

^^ How do u transcode something after you copy it from Imageburn? also what software will play back the files after its been transcoded?

does this also work for blue-ray?
htpcguy
Posted: Mar 17 2010, 01:05 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (SsZERO @ Jan 30 2010, 07:08 PM)
If you rip the video to your hard drive and transcode it you shouldn't have any issues with copy protection. The only time it may be an issue is if you are trying to copy it to burn a new disc. Just try it out and see what happens.

Usually w/ DVD's you shouldn't have a problem using imgburn. The copy protection in bluray is more complex so you'll need software like AnyDVD HD to remove the copyprotection. After ripping the DVD/Bluray, if you want to transcode it to a more manageable file size there are a lot of software out there, such as handbrake, ripbot264, etc. I recommend handbrake for most transcoding tasks.
heutenitaz
Posted: Apr 25 2010, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

If you want to burn the ripped DVD to a fresh 4.7 GB DVD, often you will need to shrink it first, as original DVDs usually contain more than 4.7 GB of data. Use the excellent freeware program DVD Shrink for this. It can produce a ripped DVD directory that fits on a 4.7 GB disk, without discernible change in image or sound quality.
The ripping process could produce a dozen or more individual files, so it's often best to create a new folder on your hard drive for each DVD.
Use a software like Handbrake that will make it easier to rip a DVD. It will let you rip the DVD in any format (like for iPod or iPhone: MPEG-4). It creates one individual file on your computer and saves it to your desktop, so there or no worries about having multiple files.
prestonduncan1
Posted: Jun 25 2010, 04:05 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,216

Well, i think u need try this ripping tool named Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper which can help u directly copy Blu-ray or DVD to your harddrive with just one click. It is capable of ripping almost all the versions of Blu-ray and dvds. The copy function is available in bit to bit to guarantee no quality loss. Also the menu can be remained.
Good luck
PMEmail Poster
VfWyburn57
Posted: Jun 25 2010, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 9,215

Digging up an old thread :-)

I dont know if this will be of much use to you but I currently use DVD Decypter to copy the DVD onto my HDD and then use Handbrake to put it into a format that I like.

If you are using a MAC I think you would only need Handbrake.

Using some clever watch folders and finshed project folder you can create a nice little automatic ripping system.

Hope it helps.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahooMSN
Andrew Kevin
Posted: Jul 14 2010, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

The best way to do this i find is to use MakeMKV, this lets you rip the movie and selected audio tracks straight to MKV format. Works for HD-DVD/ Blu-Ray and DVD formats.
Meesommara
Posted: Oct 27 2010, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 9,597

I use DVDFab to create backup copies of my DVDs to loan to friends. On my old HTPC, I would use it to copy the DVDs to my hard drive in DVD9 format. Also does Blue Ray, but I have not tried.

I would then use CyberLink Power DVD to play them. They play just like the DVD.
PMEmail Poster
Meesommara
Posted: Oct 28 2010, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

HTPCF Member

Member No.: 9,597

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a new HTPC I am building. I copied 12 DVDs to the Hard Drive using DVDFab. Then added the directories to my movie library in Media Center. They play just like I have 12 DVD drives in my PC. This sounds like what you want to do.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll