Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Athlon II X2 245 cooling solution help
xygs131
Posted: Feb 3 2010, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hey everyone. The case I'm thinking of using is 3.7 in high and I'm planning on using an Athlon II X2 245 processor. I'm not sure about the dimensions of the stock heatsink so I'd like to look into the possibility of using an aftermarket cooling solution. Any help would be great. I'm using a Zalman on my current pc and I like it, but can't find anything low profile for my new case.
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Group:
Member No.: 0

Warn: (0%) -----

Lot's of different factors to consider when it comes to coolers.

As you shorten the Z height, you tend to need to extend the X and Y axis to make up for the loss of surface area for cooling. Therefore, the heatsink may crash into other components on the board like the VRs, etc.

So this may in part depend on what board you are using and whether or not there are heatsinks on the NB or VRs.

I have used the Noise Limit silent flux media cooler and it does a pretty good job and is relatively quiet.

http://www.directron.com/3100003.html

The Shuriken from Scythe is also supposed to be pretty good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...+USA-_-35185129

PMEmail Poster
xygs131
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 01:01 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Thanks. I'll look into these.
htpcguy
Posted: Feb 5 2010, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

There are very few ATX/microATX cases out there that won't fit the stock cooler that comes with that CPU. 3.7inches is pretty low profile, but it's not extremely low profile like some mini-ITX cases. Odds are you'll be able to use the stock cooler, but if you want an aftermarket one, either of those will likely work with the vast majority of motherboards.
xygs131
Posted: Feb 8 2010, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

OK. Thank you.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll