Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> WD Cavier Green, All advice needed please.
slappyking
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hi guy's, i know this is my first post, but, i wanted to jump straight in with the 1st of my million questions. Im looking for a good, reliable, very quiet external 1TB HDD, ive been reading alot about the WD Cavier Green ( Click here ) and im impressed with the low power consumption and the low noise level, but, ive also been reading the WD HDD's are very unreliable, is that true? If it is then do you guy's have any recommendations? Obviously this is to go in my htpc (it will live in the living room so needs to be ultra quiet), it will be used for storing media only as im hoping to put a smaller drive for the OS.

Thankyou for your help :) ,

~ Martyn.
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Group:
Member No.: 0

Warn: (0%) -----

I have not had any reliability issues with any WD drives I have used over the years. Now, I have not used the WD Green drive but I would expect it to be fine.

If you are uncomfortable with the WD Green line, you might consider the Blue, it is not a low power or quiet as the Green line, but it is pretty good still.

You could also consider the Seagate Pipeline series. I have used those and they are pretty quiet with low power draw as well.

Alternatively, there is also the Hitachi Cinemastar or Samsung's Ecogreen drives which are both quiet and low power.

I have links to all these drives in my HTPC Build blog..

http://links.amd.com/Build2

PMEmail Poster
slappyking
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Thankyou for the link and advice.

Ive also been looking at a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB, it has amazing reviews, have you heard anything bad about it... and... do you think it would be alright in a htpc setup?
htpcguy
Posted: Feb 5 2010, 02:49 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

In an HTPC setup low noise and low power are generally more beneficial than high performance, hence the WD Green or any of the other low power options above will be good.

However, I've read great things about the Samsung F1 series as well. Reviews note that it's lower power and quieter than most other 7200rpm hard drives which would lead me to think that it should be good for an HTPC setup if you'd rather stick with a 7200rpm drive rather than a 5400rpm or 5900rpm drive (which most of the low power ones are). I had a 750gb F1 for a while in one of my systems before I sold it and upgraded. I had no problems in the 10 months or so that I had it.

BTW, I use WD Green drives very often in system builds over the past few years and only once has one failed that I know of.

slappyking
Posted: Feb 6 2010, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Thankyou for the great advice guy's, i will be posting more questions later :)

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll